Correa de Lima
Rafael is an Instructor at Evolve Mixed Martial Arts on a seasonal basis. He is a Mundials BJJ Black Belt World Champion, and he is responsible for the course curriculum of the Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Program at Evolve Mixed Martial Arts. He brings over 25 years of experience in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Rafael grew up in Brazil training side by side with the Gracie family. He has been a close friend of Renzo Gracie’s for over 30 years. Rafael has fought in hundreds of BJJ fights. He was the winner of the 1998 Mundials World Championships in the Black Belt Division. He is also a 5 time National Champion of Brazil where he was voted the most technical fighter and had the fastest submission (12 seconds). He is also a runner-up in ADCC Brazil. He has competed and won in numerous other tournaments around the world.
Before Evolve, Gordinho trained with and coached many professional MMA fighters in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) and the IFL (International Fight League) such as Renzo Gracie, Georges St Pierre, Roger Gracie, Rolles Gracie, Igor Gracie, Gregor Gracie, Renato Babalu Sobral, Andre Gusmao, Ricardo Almeida, Matt Serra, and many others
Rafael has taught for many years in Brazil and the US. Prior to Evolve, he was the most senior Black Belt instructor (after Renzo Gracie) at the Renzo Gracie Academy in New York. The Renzo Gracie Academy in New York is the largest BJJ school in the world with over 1200 students in a single location. Rafael was also the Program Director at the school. He is also a sought after instructor on the seminar circuit around the world.
Widely regarded as one of the most technical Black Belts from Gracie Barra, Rafael holds a 4th Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlos Gracie Jr. He is also certified in both CPR and AED training.
10 Aug 1975
185 cm / 83 kilos
Rio de Janiero, Brazil
- Mundials BJJ Black Belt World Champion with 30 years of experience
- 5 time National Champion of Brazil
- Runner-up in ADCC
- Winner of fastest submission (12 seconds) at World Championships
Quick facts on Rafael “Gordinho” Correa de Lima
- Rafael “Gordinho” Correa de Lima is one of the most prominent figures in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu history.
- He is the brother of Robert “Gordo” Correa de Lima, the inventor of the half-guard.
- Professor Gordinho started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with Renzo, Ryan, and Ralph Gracie.
- He once held the Brazilian Nationals title for 4 years in a row.
- Renzo Gracie and Rafael Gordinho are still responsible for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Program at Evolve MMA.